Random Thoughts
While I was trying to go to sleep last night, I started thinking about names. The name Mary appears in the Bible for at least 3 characters:
1. Mary the mother of Jesus
2. Mary Magdalene
3. Mary the sister of Martha
All play a pretty prominent role in the Gospel. Then I thought about how Martha was a busy-body or do-er, but her sister Mary was more apt to just spend time enjoying her time with Jesus. I wondered what the name Mary means. Joshua means "He saves", Absalom has something to do with "peace", Jason means "healer". So if you know what Mary means, let me know.
But then I thought, why do we name children before they are born? Wouldn't it make more sense to see them and then name them according to who they are?
Other random things:
I'm listening to: Jars of Clay's Redemption Songs
I'm reading: The Epistles of John


1 Comments:
Funnily enough, Mary means "bitter." When Naomi returns to Bethlehem in the book of Ruth, she says, "Call me Mara, for I am bitter." (Basically it's the same name; I'm not sure which one derives from the other.) And incidentally, my grandmother's name was Mary. It's one of my favorites.
Post a Comment
<< Home