Sunday, November 13, 2005

More important matters

I want to highlight a couple of things from church today and put out a very important prayer request.

To start off, I heard my first solo from the pews today. Let me explain: I was in the pews (or row of chairs) and we were singing worship songs. All of a sudden, the lady in front of me breaks into an impromptu solo. So the keyboardist (who is up at the front) keeps playing and she begins to belt out a song. It was pretty awesome! I really feel that is was Spirit-led. The words were beautiful and powerful and well-timed. The rang true as her beautiful voice lifted them up. At the same time it was a little strange for a lady in the 3rd row to be leading worship (but God works in unusual ways).
Today's sermon was from the end of Acts 2 were we get an accurate summary of what "church is supposed to be." One of the pastors points was that here in my city there are literally hundreds of foreign believers, but in a way we're kinda dysfunctional because the community of the Acts 2 church isn't here. He cited some reason from our Western culture: Individualism, Independence, Identity and Isolation (you know it's preaching with alliteration like that). I want to park on one of those issues: Isolation. I don't live in a city in South Asia where I'm the only Believer. I don't live in the bush of West Africa where everyone in my village is Muslim. I don't live in a war torn country that keeps me from going to the store, movies, restaurant, etc. But I have friends that do. However, in a city with so many Christians (mostly non-local), even I feel isolated at times. I have the chance to build "community" here. Others have a much tougher road for that to happen. Without that community or Body, we don't experience the corporate worship that you do. Fellowship can be lacking. I say this not to make you feel guilty or even pity us- God placed us here, so there's no need for pity. But I would ask this...

Please pray for all the servants scattered around the world. Pray that they would find others who believe. Pray the people they are reaching out would come to know Jesus. Pray that they would have brothers and sisters to fellowship with, pray with and worship with. Pray that they would not be overwhelmed with isolation.

We are meant to be a part of the Body, not isolated individuals. Without that belonging to Him and the Church, we will never see the world know Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home