Family Friendly
One thing I have noticed is that Christian music and radio stations have done little to... well, evolve in the past few years. I was a little worried that while I was overseas for 2 years, that I was missing out on a some new Christian music and bands, but as I have found out, I didn't. Honestly, I don't doubt that there are some bands out there doing something new & different, but I can almost guarantee that you won't here them on a Christian radio station- they are busy playing the same songs they have been playing for the past 6 years. In almost 3 months in the States, while listening to at least 5 different stations in 4 different metropolitan areas, I have heard less than a dozen new songs. I have been pretty disappointed and frustrated by the development... or lack of any. I think one of the problems is that most Christian stations position themselves as "family friendly" and "safe for the whole family". While it is a little refreshing and encouraging to find people who don't want to peddle sex, booze and Paris Hilton (I guess that was a bit redundant), it limits most of the selection to mostly Christian bubble-gum music, if you will. There is little creativity in lyrics or music and less willingness to try something new and daring.
I wasn't a big fan of Derek Webb's "Mockingbird", but you have to give Webb some credit for trying to push the envelope lyrically, which he has since his debut album (which I liked better). Also, Caedmon's call hasn't ever really been way out there, but "Share the Well" brought an international flare to worship and Christian music that had largely been nonexistent. Jars of Clay is also heading in direction that means less Christian radio play, but probably into a realm with more depth and exploration. And these are all examples of mostly mainstream artists.
But I guess my complaint is that Jesus wasn't "safe", He was and is controversial. Yes, He was a proponent of family and righteousness, but He also was provacative. I guess it goes back to the "I want a blessing and a comfortable life" mentality that I tend to see a lot in the West- where persecution isn't really grasped and suffering and sacrifice are viewed as something written about in the Bible, but not really expected to be lived out. But that is probably a different topic.
Russ, thanks for letting me blog in your comments.


4 Comments:
Jason---I totally hear what your saying. Some big cities (RVA for example) don't even have a christian station. This is where I find ITunes to come in very handy!
On another note...it's been really cool to go back and read your blog from when you were here in CM. Now that I'm here, it is just cool to read about all that you did while here. That was alot of stuff! Very cool...
Lealand is good,
Sanctus Real is good,
Lucrea is ...
Forgot about David Crowder
Starflyer 59,
Cool Hand Luke
Post a Comment
<< Home