Sunday, October 16, 2005

UGA wins 34-17 in a Season of Surprises

Vandy 2nd in the SEC East? Yes.
UGA undefeated at 6-0? Yes.
Cutler picked preseason SEC QB over Leak? Yes.
DJ getting it done? Yes.

The Dogs managed to get by a tougher than usual Vandy team 34-17. The Dogs can wrap up the SEC East with 3 wins vs. Ark, Fla, Kentuck or Auburn or with a victory over Florida (thanks to a LSU win) and one other SEC team.
While I didn't see the game, I was able to keep up via ESPN's GameDay. To be honest, the dogs didn't look that sharp and survived on a couple of big plays. Vandy ran all over us at times, much more than the Vols. But a win is a win (ask Bama).
Hats off to former Furman coach, Bobby Johnson, for fielding a feisty football team. MTSU? How?
I'm pretty surprised to see UGA at this spot, but I am thankful and will enjoy it while I can, but for the players, it's time to figure out how to stop Arkansas' McFadden before they become next weeks upset (a la Florida State).
I have been a big fan of Chris Leak and really thought he was in a class alone in the SEC, but Urban Meyer, Alabama and several others have proved me wrong. I was shocked to see Jay Cutler given preseason props. However, if you were to take the same poll right now I think it would be: 1) Croyle 2) DJ 3) Cutler. Hopefully, UGA gets Florida before they solve their offensive woes. While DJ hasn't been Charlie Ward, he hasn't been Chris Rix either (sorry for the FSU references). I, much like most of the Bulldog nation, was nervous about a season with DJ at the helm, but DJ has answered the critics. Hopefully, he'll keep it up.

Finally, here's my thoughts nationally:
1. Texas (no real scares like USC, even if the competition hasn't been as good)
2. USC (this is a really talented team, but it's not the outright best team in the nation)
3. Va Tech (w/ apologies to the Dogs, Va Tech is the last of the top tier teams).

4. UGA (once UGA figures out how to put teams away decisively, they move to the top tier).
5. Miami (sorry, Bama. Would win rematch vs. FSU).
6. Alabama (see UGA).

Heisman:
1. Vince Young (he carries his team like no one else. His passing numbers are second to no one (read: Leinart), oh and he can run as well as anyone else).
2. Reggie Bush (if you doubled his carries to put him in line with the Minn/Wisc backs, he would smoke them in yardage. Victim of his supporting cast)

3. Matt Leinart (good QB with great cast, that doesn't make mistakes)
4. Brady Quinn (seriously, he's on line with any of the passing QBs and he is a huge reason ND is back)

Barkin' in Thailand,
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home