Do you understand what I am saying?
I found this the other day during some of my reading and thought it was pretty good:
"One of the most important effects of this trend set in motion by the attempt to rediscover the marching orders of the Church is the new awakening of evangelistic responsibility to the world in many Churches. But here bewilderment begins. At the moment a Church commences to turn away from the introversion in which it is steeped by its acceptance of being primarily an established institution, and looks at its real field, the world, a new realism awakens. Innumerable questions assail such a Church, such questions as: What am I? To what purpose am I? Am I fulfilling this purpose? Where and how do I live?... Does the world listen when I speak to it, and if not, why not? Am I really proclaiming the gospel, or am I not? Why has such a wall of separation risen between the world and what I must stand for? Do I know the world in which people live, or do I not? Why am I evidently regarded as a residue of a world that belongs irrevocably to the past? How can I find a way to speak again with relavancy and authority, transmitting 'the words of eterenal life' entrusted to me?
Amidst the welter of such questions, engendered by a newly awakened apostolic consciousness, communication has become a problem with which the Churches every are wrestling. Apparently one could express it as well in a different way and inquire after the best and most appropriate methods of evangelism. But that is not right. In that case we would have done better by giving to our discussion the title 'The Problem of Evangelism.' The word 'communication' puts the problem in a far wider and deeper setting."
-Hendrik Kraemer


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home