Same Same, but Different
I had an interesting experience on the tsongtow (taxi/truck) today. I got into the tsongtow at the Day Market to go back to my apt. A Thai got in right after me and I thought it was a little odd, because I didn't notice him tell the driver where he was going. He soon started talking to me (which should have been my first clue, since I have to work hard to get most Thais to talk to me) and asking me where I was going. He spoke English well, but I tried to speak in Thai so I can improve. So we talked for a while in Thai-nglish. We went through the normal questions and I was able to say that I don't have a Thai wife because there aren't many Thai Christians and I want a Christian wife, since I am a Christian. He proceeded to tell me about a Thai church across from the university. So I followed up with questions about him going to church, reading the Bible, knowing Jesus, etc. He told me the Bible was good, he had read some of it and that God has a "good heart" and Jesus is good. So I began to share my testimony. Soon we were at my stop and as I was getting out, he said, "you pay 40 baht since I take you here." Now, I had agreed on 20 baht with the driver which was fair, but I paid 15 baht to get to the market. Now this guy wants me to pay 40 because he tagged along. He even had the gall to tell the driver I was paying for him. I told the driver that wasn't right, but paid anyway. (I know, I shouldn't have, but I did. Actually, it would have been interesting to see if the driver would have come after the guy if I didn't pay. But he could've come after me and I didn't need that today). I told Kom (the thief), that what he did was wrong. He asked for some money because he was far from home and needed money. I told him no, that if he would have asked I would've given him 20 baht instead of wasting it tagging along with me. He said Christians are supposed to be good people and help others. Well, I told him he already got a free ride from this Christian and that would be all today and walked away.
I think maybe you've struggled with this situation or something like it: Do you give to a beggar or homeless person? The Bible says what you have done to the least of these, you have done to me. But you don't want to give in to a liar or give money to someone that is going to waste it on alcohol or whatever. But as I was walking away, I recalled a couple of verses: 1) "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." - 2 Thess. 3:10. While Jesus expects me to be charitable, he expects others not to be lazy. 2) "Silver and gold I do not have, but what I have I give you." - Acts 3:6. I was a faithful witness for Christ and I gave Kom something more valuable than a dollar, I gave him God's Truth.
"Same, Same, but Different"... it's a common thing to hear here. They print it on T-shirts. It is used when you want one thing, but somebody gives you something similar, but not what you want., i.e. you go into a store and ask for a pen, the clerk gives you a green crayon. You say, that's not a pen. He says, "same, same, but different." Sure you can write with it, but it's not the same as an ink pen. (Jason, where are you going with this? you ask.)
When I was in Niger, I heard the testimony of a man who was baptized that day. He said he was interested in the church (of the white people), because he wanted to see what he could get out of it (meaning money, gifts, food, etc.). But after a while, he realized that he wasn't going to get what he wanted, but he could get what he needed... Jesus.
You can travel around this tiny world and people... people are "same, same, but different."
Pray that God would open Kom's eyes just like he did for our Nigerian brother.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home