Longhorns Win, USC Loses Game, ESPN Loses Credibility
Do you think Kirk Herbstreit and Mark May are waking up sore today?


Why?
Because they both had their heads so far up USC's butt, it had to hurt when Texas kicked USC's hind-ends!
While I usually enjoy ESPN and I do actually like Herbstreit's performance most of the time, I have to say it was good to see Texas win, just to feed the Bristol boys some crow. You see, ESPN was doing an online survey to see where the 2005 Trojans fit into history. Kirk and Mark were steady as a metronome: "No way ______ beats USC. They couldn't stop this offense. USC is the best team ever. No contest." And even if they did give the other teams props they would predict scores like USC 31-17 over ______. Unfortunately, online voters sided with the duo on every game as ESPN paired USC and 11 of the greatest teams of all-time. Only Miami's last championship team won. Oddly enough, according to ESPN, that Hurricane team was the 2nd best team, behind a Nebraska team led by Tommie Frazier.
Like many people, especially Longhorns, I thought it was a big slap in the face to start pitting the Trojans against legendary teams before they even beat Texas for the National Championship. Apparently, Vince Young and the Horns took note of it too and decided to take matters into their own hands.

While USC proved that they do have a great, star-studded offense, they were unable to stop the night's brightest star... Vince Young. He rushed 20 times for 200 yards and threw for another 267. He scored 3 TDs and made a mockery of this year's Heisman balloting. The Texas defense made some key stops, especially on 4th down; USC didn't. I guess defense is important. That's why Chris Fowler's statement was so profound, "I don't know if this 2005 team is better than the 2004 USC team. It had a better defense."
Congrats to the Texas Longhorns!
(Do they get to have their own poll to see where they fit into college football history? Tomorrow, we finish the season with my final top 25.)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home