Thursday, December 14, 2006

Shaken

It's been an interesting 48 hours...

Tuesday night, I had dinner with a group of friends and said goodbye to Russ & Rebecca. After spending 2 years here working with Thais at a church here, they have moved back to the States into a 'state of unknown'.
I have to say one of the most beautiful things I have witnessed here during my stay was the scene at the airport. There were about 50 people from the 2 churches they were connected to all in a circle singing a song about Love. The song has different parts for altos, tenors, basses and sopranos and they lyrics are pretty close to Scripture from 1 Corinthians 13, 1 John and other parts of the Bible. It was so beautiful to hear the voices blend and weave a tapestry of God's amazing and unfailing love for us. It was followed by a prayer for Russ & Rebecca and one by Russ for their friends here.
I don't think it has quite set in for me yet, but I guess it will next Tuesday night.

After leaving the airport, we headed back to Chris' apartment on the 16th floor for our last night with Jerod. We broke out the Settlers of Catan game and played 2. Bay won the first one and I won the second in a heated battle. But there was more going on that night than just the game... Around 12:30am we experienced an earthquake. According to reports the next day, there was an earthquake centered just north of Chiang Mai in Mae Rim (about 10 km away) that registered a magnitude of around 5. It was the first earthquake I have really every felt and the building was definitely shaking or swaying. Honestly, I wasn't that worried. I would like to say that is because I have lived a full life and I know that Christ has blessed me with salvation and eternal life, but really I think I was more worried about getting another settlement to help me win the game.

The next morning, I overslept and was almost late to take Jerod to the airport, but we got there in plenty of time. A group of about 15-20 gathered to say goodbye. Here is Jerod reminiscing about the party from Friday night, "Love, I need somebody."
So now Jerod is on his way back to the States for a few months and might be there by now. And with his departure, I am the last one of a great Chiang Mai triumphrate; that fact hasn't fully hit me just yet. I know it will. Probably this weekend. I will want to go get dinner or be bored or something like that and as I scroll through my cell phone, Craig and Jerod won't be viable options.

On my way into work, I got a call... Will was arriving at the airport later that morning, so I knew that I would make my third trip to the airport in 24 hours. I haven't seen Tom Hanks in Terminal, but I was beginning to sympathize with his character's plight.
It was good to welcome Will and his mother, especially after his time in the US for his dad's funeral.

I came back to work that doesn't disappear like the days seem to at this point in my term. Tired and a little stressed, I wondered how to get through this. A package of goodies, letters of sunshine and encouragement and a easy search for music for my story had me on the rebound.

Things don't stand still. They move... or sometimes they are shaken.

1 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, December 15, 2006, Blogger Ginny said...

Just signed up for the February meetin'! I'll see you there, Sailor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home