Agad naaw chai-mai?
Over the past couple of months I would hear that phrase, usually while sitting downstairs at the apartment building waiting for my teammates. The person who asked would usually be one of the guards or janitors who would be bundled up in a parka or at least a sweater or light jacket. I would usually be sitting there in some light pants and a short-sleeve shirt and reply, "Mai naaw, bpen yen."
So for the high context people you know that the Thais were saying, "It's cold weather, isn't it?" To which I would reply, "Not cold, it's cool."
As I checked the highlly unreliable Weather Channel for temperatures today, it noticed that Chiang Mai temps were 81/55 F. Over here in a Kennesaw we are looking at 43/25 F. (This a day after sleet, snow and freezing rain in the region.) That my friends is NAAW MAHK!
So while it may be chilly on your motorcycle, say a little prayer for your thin-skinned brother who is freezing his tail off.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home