Lost in Translation
Today, I was at a local university's student center waiting to meet a student to help me with some translation work. In one of the eating areas, there was a big screen TV with the movie "Empire Records" playing.

While not quite as iconic as Reality Bites, Empire Records was a bit of a cult hit/portrait for/of my generation. Released in 1995, the movie featured some of the music style (alternative) that were all the rage at that time. In addition, it captured some of the angst and slacker/drifting tones that were prominent in the tale end of Generation X.
As I sat there watching a movie that meant someting to me, I wondered how the movie was received 12 years later by a new generation. You see most of these kids were 8 years old when the movie came out- the music probably wasn't their music, the fashion weren't their fashion and the ebay/Google/MySpace/YouTube explosions hadn't even happened.
I guess it was like they were speaking a different language.


1 Comments:
now you know how I felt when Motown and the Beatles were being played on oldies stations, then there was Happy Days and the Fonz.......just wait until 1030 is past your bedtime
Post a Comment
<< Home