Stupid Ads
If you watch TV with any regularity- and I still haven't figured out why I do with the lack of good programing- then you have probably noticed one of the recent trends in advertising: ads with idiots that glorify stupidity.
Three of the ads that typify this movement are below:
COKE ZERO

You've seen the ad, 2 idiots approach a Coke bigwig and tell them they want to sue Coke Zero for taste infringement.
Their argument is based on the fact that Coke Zero tastes remarkably like Coke- which it does- as opposed to Diet Coke which has a taste of its own. I like Coke Zero. And the first time I saw the ad, I thought it was a little bit clever, but it hasn't aged well (kinda like McCauley Culkin or Kenny Rogers). Now it is just annoying. We get it, now move on.
SONIC

Two dumb guys- one of them really dumb- or a stupid couple talk about their favorite Sonic menu items while in the drive-thru line. There are discussions of a "meat lottery", hearing grass grow and the finer points of tots. It's just a lot of inane banter and it's old.
My theory on this one is that some punk that was in high school when Beevis and Butthead came out and was a big fan; now he has a job as an advertising firm and the boss loves him because he thinks this punk can help Sonic get in touch with a younger audience.
HYUN-DUH

I think this one has to be the most annoying because it is the least creative. Pitched as the Hyun-Duh Sales Event, choirs in flashy gowns that look very cult-esque chant "duh" repeatedly instead of singing the lyrics to a Christmas Carol. Before it was Kelsey Grammar expounded on the various usages and meanings of the word duh- kind of a thesaurus for morons.
In a society where people can't find Canada on a map of the Western Hemisphere, a pageant girl refers to the population as "US Americans" and countless hours a day are spent keeping up with Brittney, Paris and Lindsey, the last thing we need is to be glorifying and encouraging stupidity.
Your thoughts?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home