What's up doc?
Yesterday, I had a new cultural experience... I went to a doctor specializing in Chinese medicine. Don't worry, I am not sick. It was more for the sake of a new experience.
For the past 3-4 months, Rufina has been seeing Chinese doctors to try to get some help with her cough and sinus issues. She seems to be doing better and feels that the Chinese medicine works better than the Western medicine and treatments she has tried. Chinese medicine tends to be more holistic and helps to boost your immune system so you fight off the ailments instead of a bunch of antibiotics which attack the illness and your good systems too.
She had to go for a checkup and medicine, so I decided to tag along. She told me she would pay for my checkup and the medicine if I would take the medicine. Now, I have passed many of these Chinese medicine shops and they all stink and they have a bunch of stuff in there that I wouldn't want to eat or drink. However, I was feeling up to it, so I bit on the bet.
I have to say the examination was much more pleasant than most in the States, but probably would leave most asking "is that it?" He asked me a few questions like, "do you have trouble sleeping?", "any major health issues?", etc. He took my pulse on both wrists- actually I have heard they check for 6 different pulses, three on each wrists. Then he looked at my tongue and pushed around the bottom of my rib cage/top of my belly.
His conclusion was that my stomach isn't as healthy as it could be. He said I drink too many cold drinks (to which I wanted to say, "you get rid of the heat and the humidity and I will pass on the cold drinks"). Other than that, I was in relatively good health. So I am supposed to reduce the amount of cold drinks that I drink and also cut out beer (another cold drink). Chinese doctors believe that there is a balance between hot and cold and if you get too much of one, it is bad for you. Cold drinks and food don't allow you to digest as well- or something like that.
After the examination, we left for a while and would have to return for our medicine. As I looked at the glass canisters filled with dried plants & mushrooms, seashells, herbs and dried roots & cicadas- yes, cicadas!- I was dreading the worst. I came back to a hot bowl of brown liquid that was smoking like some wizard's potion. Reluctantly, I took my first sip... And... it wasn't that bad. So I began to sip some more and then moved to swigs and then drinks. It wasn't good, but it wasn't that bad either.
I wish I had my camera, because there were so many photo opportunities, like watching his assistant fill gallon ziploc bags with what looked like the remnants of raking the yard. Maybe next time.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home