Trouble at Customs
I am always pestering one of our Thai workers, Jiap, about why she never brings me any packages back from the Post Office. There are a few families that receive 2-3 boxes a day, so I like to joke with Jiap about my lack of "boxed-love." (She always says I need to tip her better to get more packages.)
Well, today that all changed...
Jiap said that I had a package, but it was being held at customs because of a problem. So we headed to the customs office next to the airport. I knew the package was from a friend in China, so I figured either the Chinese government was trying to flex their muscle or the Thai government was trying to milk a few dollars out of another farang.
When I got there, we waited for them to find the box, copy my passport, fill out some forms and then they asked me to open the box. I guess they were worried that it had something dangerous inside. They asked Jiap what it was and she told them it was a Christmas gift. So I opened the box as everyone looked on...
And what do you think was in it?
No weapons or illegal materials. Nothing dangerous... or so it seemed. So why did the box end up in customs?
They were expecting to see something like this guy up here or these guys down below.
But instead, all they saw was this harmless (and rather cute) guy.
See, when my friend listed each item for the Chinese Postal Service, she put "Stuffed Animal". Apparently, (despite seeing the toy) they mistranslated it and wrote "Stuffed Dead Animal", like you would find at a taxidermist's or a trailer in Mississippi.Needless to say, they told me, "mai mi pan ha" (no problem) and I was able to take my Christmas gifts without further hassles or fees and they filed my paperwork under "lost in translation".
(Princess, thanks for the gifts)


2 Comments:
Great story - but you do need to watch the Mississippi jokes!!!
Isn't it great to get packages? We will let you join the box club with an honorary membership, since you had to go to customs to get your package!
Hey, buddy, we have a dead stuffed deer in my parents' house in Tennessee...we decorated it each year for Christmas...sometimes he is an angel, or a Santa, or we hang ornaments from his antlers and he is a Christmas Tree...not kidding.
Post a Comment
<< Home