Friday, November 28, 2008

It's a small world... and theme park, after all.

A few weeks ago, we took the entire school to Disneyland Hong Kong. It was quite an undertaking, but thankfully, Disney actually has a program set up to accommodate schools. Since I am a subject teacher and not a class teacher, I was assigned to help out with the international branch of P2 (2nd grade).

Here is the entire J2F class, so a teaching assistant and I were responsible for half of them.

As I mentioned Disney has a program for the schoolkids. They assign a leader to groups according to the students age and then take them on a 3-hour program that caters to the kids age group and even some of what they might be learning in school. Here is our fearless leader, Mavis, showing the kids how to turn 2D drawings into animation.

The focus of our session was animation, which I thought was pretty cool. I participated with the kids to make flipbooks and other types of animation. My favorite part was when we got a tutorial on how to draw Mickey Mouse using geometric shapes (not to brag, but mine was the best).

The last stop on our animation tour was a 3D movie in an interactive movie theater that also sprayed water, had giant fans to create wind and vibrating seats. It was pretty cool... but not as cool as these two guys.

"It's a small world after all..." As alluded to in the title, the Disney park here is pretty small, especially compared to Disneyworld in Orlando. Here is a shot of the Thailand exhibit in "It's a small world". BTW, they had to stop the ride because a few of my students were reaching out of the boat and splashing water. You can imagine how happy I was about that.

Hit me with your best shot!
My group at the end of the day... and after we relocated one of our wandering girls. Lovely, huh?

All-in-all, it wasn't a bad day, but I certainly don't want to do it again anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home