Bullet the Blue Sky

This week marks the 20th anniversary of the release of The Joshua Tree- their best-selling album. I can still remember sitting in the cafeteria my sophomore year in high school and all my friends were going to see U2 in concert; at that time, I didn't really know much about them, but shortly after that, they would become my favorite band (and I would lament missing the concert that all my friends had seen).
U2 almost lost me with Pop and the exit of Steve Lillywhite, but they came back strong with "All That You Can't Leave Behind" (which was another concert I missed because I told my friend, "they are going to have to prove themselves to me before I go see them again."- which they did shortly after the tickets sold out and the CD got wideplay on the radio- doh!)
Of coure, Bono & the boys have made some other headlines in their time; they have transcended mere rock start status. Whether you agree with them or not, they are a voice that is crying out in the world... one that gets heard.
But for me U2 will always be the cassette I was blaring in my truck as I drove around in high school... the first time I asked a random girl to dance- and she said yes ("Love is Blindness" - Zoo TV tour)... conversations with my friend Allen... and a band that has stayed with me longer than any other band ever.
(Photo: Yahoo! Music)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home