Nothing brings a family together like...
...dim sum.

One of the traditions of Chinese New Year is spending time with family. So on the second day of Chinese New Year, we met Rufina's mom's family out for lunch. It was good to meet more of her family. We had dim sum, which a pretty tradition type of food to eat when you are eating with friends or family here in Hong Kong.

After the meal, we went over to visit more family at their apartment. It's kinda like Christmas or Thanksgiving. Lots of food, including sweets, and gift exchange. If you go to visit someone, usually you take some kind of gift, like candy, cookies, cake, etc., especially if you are younger than the host. And older couples give out laisee (red envelopes, technically "red pockets") with money inside. So it pays to be single (as demonstrated by Rufina's sister on the far right).

And if dim sum and Chinese New Year can't bring a family together, then leave it to small electronic gaming devices to do the trick.

I am still waiting for someone to find me in that crowded food court in a previous post.


2 Comments:
ahh, dim sum. Is there anything better for Sunday lunch??? I think not. Finding you in that food court shot was difficult but I think I did it. :) You know one of the best parts of being in Asia is that I can always find Russ so easily - on the other hand, him finding me is a different story. Enjoy HK for me!
I just showed your recent post to DC and she said 'I know what dim sum is, it's what Melanie Griffith made for her boss Sigorney Weaver in Working Girl'. Hmmm, me thinks some people watch too many movies. Hope to see you guys in Kuaii in Sep. Joe and Michele said they might be able to make it and I'll try to help Amy and Earl if they can go.
Love,
Dad
Post a Comment
<< Home