Going back to a place I don't know
I bought my tickets and I am set to go to Chiang Mai, Thailand, on January 29th. And even though I lived almost 2 years of my life in Chiang Mai, I can't help but think the place I am going is nothing like the place I knew.
I have very fond memories of Chiang Mai. It ranks with Greenville, SC, as my favorite places I have ever been. I still miss it... That is one of the reasons I am going back. But one thing I have learned after living in 9 cities in 3 countries since I left for college is, a place isn't just geography, buildings, shops, restaurants, trees, mountains, rivers, etc. Actually, a place is people. Sure I still remember Sanford Stadium, Mellow Mushroom, Jones Valley, Reedy River Falls, North Main Street, the Lemontree and the soccer field at Payap, but all of those pale in comparison to people- the people I was with at those places.
If you look at the photo above, starting with me in the top right and going clockwise, most of them aren't in Chiang Mai. Nueng is still there for the moment. Tawee is there. Jerod is in China. Paeng is in Boston. Bay is about to go to New Zealand. Noon is in Maryland. Deborah is in Kansas City. Rachel is in the US. Amy and Steven are in DC. That doesn't even include Russ and Rebecca who left about a week before this photo was taken in 2006 or Craig who left a few months earlier.
Now to be sure there are still some wonderful people in Chiang Mai- that is why I am going back. But I remember my trip there about a year ago and things had already changed in the year that I was gone. So it is with a bit of anxiousness and curiosity that I prepare for a trip to the "New City" in the north.


3 Comments:
A lot can change in 2 years, huh?
(btw, that elevator photo is quite nifty. Love it.)
I can completely understand. I want to visit Taiwan again, but it will be completely different especially without H & C there... Have fun! Get a banana roti for me!
wow, I remember taking that photo. so long ago. I can't even imagine going to Chiang Mai right now. I'm still trying to get used to life on this side of the world.
Jason, I'm so happy for you and Rufina!
Rachel
Post a Comment
<< Home