John Weaver
Today I found out that my Uncle John passed away. Technically, he was my great-great uncle. He was my grandmother’s uncle. He was 87 years old.
I firmly believe he is with Christ in heaven where his wife has been waiting for 6 years. I know he is relieved to have shed his temporary body that was wearing down. I know he is happy to be with his wife of more than 50 years. And I know he is filled with joy to be with His Creator. And I am at peace with that, in fact, I am happy that he has moved to a better part of life after having a pretty full life. Sure, I miss him, but I know his hope has been realized.
However, something isn’t quite right. When I read his obituary, it just listed his age, the date of death and some brief information about his funeral service. I was very disappointed that this would be all that some people would know of John Weaver. So that is why I am writing- to let you know more about him.
I am sure that John was a part of my life before this, but the time when John- and Aunt Bessie Mae, for that matter- really became an important part of my life was around the time I turned 4 years old. My parents had just divorced or were going through the divorce. I was too young then and am too old now to know if I really understood what was going on then, but I remember having asthma and other ailments then, so maybe I did know and my body was reacting for me in a way that a young boy doesn’t know how.
But more than the particulars of the divorce and wheezing at night, I remember numerous trips to the Space & Rocket Museum, weekly trips to Baskin-Robbins, regular visits to feed the ducks at Big Spring Park, many games of Putt-Putt and hours spent shopping for various toys. Those were the type things that John did with me… for me. He knew I needed a man in my life and he stepped in to fill that need. He made me fill so loved. Honestly, he probably spoiled me a bit. He selflessly gave his time and money to make sure I didn’t miss out on all the things that little boys enjoy doing.
However, one of the greatest gifts he gave me and Aunt Bessie Mae truly reflected his love and dedication. John was a smoker and with my burgeoning allergies and asthma, I didn’t care much for the cigarette smoke or the smell it left in the car. So he stopped. Stopped for me and Bessie Mae, who didn’t care for it either. And I never saw him smoke again.
After a year or so, we moved away to Georgia, but every time I went back to Huntsville, John and I would spend time together. John kept up with the various toys that coveted through the years: Batman, Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers and LEGOs. And we continued to play putt-putt and go to the Space Center.
Another impact that John and Aunt Bessie Mae had on me was their Christian walk. Like my grandparents, they were regular church attendees. And after John retired, he spent a lot of time at the church, volunteering, taking photos of events and helping out.
When I finally turned to Christ and start my own journey of faith, no one was happier than John and Bessie Mae. When I decided to serve overseas, they were sad that I would be away, but they supported me.
And in between childhood and those big decisions of adulthood, he encouraged me and let me know how proud he was when I graduated from high school & college. I guess the most wonderful thing about John was that I always knew where I stood with him. I was a beloved son.
John wasn’t a perfect man, but he loved me, loved his wife and loved God and he wasn’t ashamed to let anyone know that.
I am glad that I was able to introduce Rufina to John. It meant a lot to all of us. He supported us and wanted the best for us. He knew what it meant to have a special woman for a wife and he wanted me to share that blessing. And maybe 49 years from now I will get to throw a huge bash for our anniversary like he did for theirs (complete with news coverage).
I know there are things I am forgetting, but I just wanted to write a little about this man that meant so much to me.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home