Remembering Papa
I found out that my grandfather passed away today at the age of 94.
I can honestly say he was the hardest working person I ever knew. He lived his life working hard so others might have a better life. As a young man, he worked to help put his siblings through school. As a father, he worked hard to provide a better life for his wife and 3 sons. After retiring from the military, he worked on a farm and continued to provide for his grandchildren.
About 12 years ago, he was diagnosed with cancer. At their time, he was still working on the farm and over 80 years old. He could outwork just about everyone I knew. But with cancer, he sold the farm and moved into town. I was sure he wouldn't last a year. I had lost my other grandfather to cancer and seen what it could do, but more than that, I knew Papa's will to work, kept him alive. Without the farm, I thought cancer would get the best of him.
I was wrong.
He found other projects like flipping houses, building retaining walls and other jobs that 80+ year old men had no business doing to keep him going. And he kept going. And going.
He fought through the cancer, but age kept coming at him. His eyes started to go bad. And his hearing. His pace slowed. But each time I asked him how he was, he would say, "I've got another day, so I can't complain." He enjoyed the gift of each day and he tried to teach us that gift as well.
He leaves behind his wife of 65 years, Amparo, or Grandma as we call her.
I love them both.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home