On the biggest night for football, I called an option...
You've heard of Breakfast at Wimbleton, right? Well, over here in Thailand, it would have been breakfast in Detroit... hmm, just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it? I didn't think so either, so instead of watching the Super Bowl at 6am, I went on an excursion with my friends that are visiting from the US.
Wendy, Courtney and I took a trip to an elephant camp at Mae Taeng (just north of Chiang Mai). On the way up, we stopped at a place where they turn elephant dung into paper and then into cards, frames, photo albums, etc. It was pretty neat and not as smelly as you might think (plus the owners are believers!).
Then we got to the elephant camp and got to feed the elephants bananas (gluay) and sugar cane (aoy).

After feeding time, the elephants went to a river for a bath... whether it was their bath or ours is still a mystery as they came up spraying.

Next it was time for the elephant show. They had about 7 elephants that did various tricks: dragging and moving logs (like they were originally used in Thailand), playing instruments, painting and playing soccer...

So even thought I missed the Super Bowl, I got to see this guy play soccer and dunk a basketball. It was pretty amazing. I think he scored on his first kick. Next we took an elephant ride. It was great (albeit, very bumpy and shaky)! We started off by descending a steep bank and crossing a river. That's Wendy and Courtney on the first elephant.

After the elephant ride we saw a Hill Tribe souvenir shop (Lisu people) and then took and ox cart ride back to the camp. There we had a buffet lunch that was pretty darn good. We finished up with a bamboo raft ride on the river. It was a trip- literally and figuratively. One of our guides, Jai (means "heart"), was serenading the girls. He was dancing around and acting all goofy. He was trying to teach me to sing and woo in Thai. It was pretty funny. He even let me steer the raft for a while. He we are at the finish line; I can't remember the first guy's name, but the guy next to me on the right is Jai. The planks that we are standing on are our raft and the ones next to it, closest to the bottom of the picture are the dock.

So it wasn't a Super Bowl Sunday for me? ...No, it was Super Monday for me and the gals.
Oh, Pittsburg won their 5th Super Bowl 21-10.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home