Monday, February 06, 2006

Would you like fishsauce with your bluegrass?


Last night, 5 friends and I went out to dinner in Chiang Mai (L-R: Wendy, Jerod, me, Jiap, Rose, Courtney). It was a blast!
Wendy and Courtney came here for vacation, so I wanted to make sure they had a good time. Jiap told us about this great restaurant on Doi Suthep (the big mtn next to the city); it's called Palaad Tawanron. It's hard to explain the atmosphere of the place. It is an indoor-outdoor restaurant with decks overlooking the city, waterfalls running right by table, trees growing through the roof and simple, yet elegant decor. The food was good and reasonably priced, but one of the most amazing things was the Thai bluegrass quartet. Yes! Real bluegrass music played by Thais that looked more like Indians from SW America in their cowboy hats, long hair, plaid shirts and big belt buckles.


Another thing that didn't quite fit at the restaurant, but that was a pleasant surprise was a clown/balloon artist. He made the girls flowers and a teddybear. Here's a picture of the girls showing of his handywork. (I accidentally left the shutter open to long, so it made the background a little out of focus, but brighter- kind of a neat effect).

It was a great night and if you come visit, I have another great place to take you for dinner, so book your flight NOW!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home