(the world famous) Chiang Mai Night Bazaar
Welcome to the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar (or Night Market as it is also called).

One of the most common sites are Akha women selling silver, jewelry and wooden frogs.

Here a Muslim woman barters with one of the vendors. You see all kinds of people in the Night Bazaar- mostly tourists. One thing I noticed last night was the mix of languages. Of course, you expect to hear Thai, but with all the white people I expected to hear English, but honestly I heard more European languages that American brand English. When I stopped to listen, I realized that my lack of Thai speaking ability wasn't the only language barrier in this place.
365 nights a year the market is open for business.
If you think the Night Bazaar is only about silk shirts, illegal DVDs, fake watches, local crafts and souvenirs...

... you are wrong! It's about business- BIG BUSINESS! Take a closer look at the photo above. Anything look familiar? Maybe the next picture will make it more obvious...

Amidst the hustle and bustle, a little girl scribbles in a book while her parent work.
Two guys set up a TV in the street while they wait for customers.
Two other guys pass the time by playing chess.
But this poor guy was sacked out before dark. Such is life in the crowded streets and sidewalks of the Night Bazaar.
By the way, did you catch the businesses advertising in the photo above the McDonald's photo? Take a guess and submit your answer by posting.


6 Comments:
OK...here are my guesses. I know I see Starbucks, but I *think* I see 7-Eleven and Haagen Daz?!? The picture's tough to make out.
Dang! Baby, you're good! I was hoping a non-CM peep would get it before Rick or someone else. Kudos!
So, do I get a prize or something?
You win a trip to Chiang Mai.
I think I sense some of that Thai cronyism in this contest!
Darn the bad luck! Wouldn't you just know that I would be off gallivanting (sp?) in the Indian Ocean instead of trying to solve the J-man's riddle. And I knew the answer, too!
Check out the pics of my adventure at http://boyneblog.blogspot.com
Post a Comment
<< Home