Thursday, March 15, 2007

I drank the Cool-ade


This is a little late, considering it happened about a month ago (but Blogger has been messed up and not allow pictures and a bunch of other stuff). However, as you can tell from the photos, I got a Mac. Boy, it sure is purty! But I would be lying if I told you that is was all roses (but we're not quite on the AVID level yet).
Yes, there are some really cool things, but the problem I have (and had) is that Mac people want to give you the same company line for everything, "Mac is better, you don't have problems with a Mac." So no matter what you want to talk about or get help with, they feed you the same line- well, that is all fine and well, but I'm an idiot and I need the problem fixed, not another pitch line! In about a month, I filled an 80 GB hard drive, except for 4.6 GB. I was dumbfounded. How could this be?! On my PC laptop (which was the origin of most of the material now on my Mac), I had filled up less than 40 GB. You don't just create 35 GB out of thin air!
I finally found a Mac guy to help me (that did help and not just act as a pitch man, although there was some of that) and we figured out the problem. I was saving 2 or even 3 copies of all my photos, movies and some documents. So 6 GB of photos quickly multiplied to 12-15 GB of photos. Honestly, most of this is operator error (like I said, I'm an idiot), but Mac people want to tell you about how easy an intutive everything is- well, it wasn't... for me. I am slowly resolving the issues and now I have about 23 GB free which still is less than I would like.
I found out that Final Cut Express is a big consumer of space, as is Garage Band. I haven't even used either yet and FCE is taking up 9 GB for fonts and effects. Garage Band's loops and stuff eat up another 6 GB or so.
Anyway, things might start to come around and thankfully I got ProCare so I can get lessons on how to use my Mac, FCE, my iPod and all the other stuff- so there is a light at the end of the tunnel for me and The Great White Hope (my aptly named Mac).

1 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, March 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's what you get for being trendy....

my inexpensive, clunky compaq prez works just fine.. ;>

 

Post a Comment

<< Home