Tuesday, July 24, 2007

rocky mountain high

Last Saturday, Rufina and I joined some of the people in our Sunday school class for an evening at Stone Mountain. Four of us ventured up the mountain.
You can see the skyline of downtown Atlanta through the pines... and haze.

Rufina celebrates making it to the summit.

Both of us on top of the world... or at least the largest piece of granite in the southeast.

Me resting after the hike up the mountain (with a bum knee).

Rufina waiting for the laser show to start.

The face of the mountain before the laser show started.

I got to tell Rufina the history of the mountain... how it was originally a weapons test site for the Confederacy and how they were testing cutting-edge laser technology and were just months away from a break through when the CSA finally had to surrender with Lee's army done and Atlanta in flames. Years later the testing was resumed and they used the lasers to carve the images in the mountain.


Okay, I embellished a little.

Next stop, South Carolina.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home