Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Why in the world am I wearing a sombrero in Hong Kong?

Last Friday, before the Chinese New Year break, the school hosted its annual Cultural Day. The kids are encouraged to dress in traditional Chinese clothes and costumes and the classes set up booths and activities for all the students. The NETs (Native English-speaking Teachers) set up booths from different countries around the world to help teach the students about other cultures.
Here is a shot of some of the kids in gold pajamas, I mean outfits running around.

Too cute!
This is one of the J1F girls (first grade in the international stream) sporting one of the sombreros we had at the Mexican booth.

I worked the Mexican booth almost all day long. It featured some clipart decor, some Ikea rugs turned into ponchos, 4 small sombreros and one large somebrero and 2 bowls of Doritos. Ole!

Below are two of my P6 (6th grade students) which also are on the basketball team. The kid on the right it quite good.

So all day long I taught the kids words like: hola, gracias, adios, uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, seis, etc. The I taught them a little song and dance with the numbers. If they did the routine, they got Doritos and I got... embarrassed.

This is a P1 student that I taught for emcee training. He isn't the best speaker, but I really love this kid and smile every time I see him in the hallway and say, "Wha'sup, Keon?" I even have him giving me high fives.

This is another one of my P6 students and she is a really good student. I think she got a 100 on the last two General Studies tests.

Another class hosted the French booth and here is one of their little Napoleons.

Lastly, I spotted this kindergartener who didn't get the memo. He was the only cowboy in a sea of silk and satin.

1 Comments:

At 10:06 PM, January 28, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feliz cumpleano y mucho carino (pretend there are a couple of tildes back there). Espero que tengas unas vacaciones fantasticas y buen tiempo en Thailandia.

Carino,
papa, Papa Cancel, Abuela y Donna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home