Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Every ending is a new beginning


I'm not going to try and explain it all to you (if you want to know you can read about it here), but Thailand will have a new Prime Minister. Thaksin Shinawatra who managed to win the election... kinda, is stepping down because of extensive protest.

"I will not accept the post of prime minister when the parliament convenes," he said in a 10-minute statement.

Thaksin made the announcement just hours after meeting the nation's revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej. He said he made his decision out of respect for the monarch.

"I want all Thais to reunite," he said.

Like I said in the last post, I don't know if Thaksin was right or his opponents, but I do know that there is a rift in Thailand that needs healing. Thaksin is popular with the poor and less educated population of the North and East, while he was soundly defeated in Bangkok where academics led the marches and in the South where Muslims opposed him. Pray that these wounds in Thailand would be healed and that God might use this situation for His plan.

(photo courtesy of AFP)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home