The Last Leg
As many of you may know, I am a the Amazing Race. I love watching the teams travel around the world and cope with stressful situations in other countries. I love seeing the different cultures and I like finding a favorite team and routing for them. It is especially cool when the go to a place I have been before, or lived, specifically Chiang Mai.
I was a little frustrated at the beginning of this season because it seems the producers have decided to fill the show with as many abnormal characters as possible. To be sure, the Amazing Race has always tried to add a little flair (literally & figuratively), starting off the first season with a gay couple, a recurring theme during the shows run. Another pairing that has become more and more frequent is the uber-abusive partner with their punching bag mate. But other more favorable pairings have included, many different minorities, older couples and even... Christians. But like I said, this season, it seemed this year there were more screamers, more effeminate men, more arrogant blonde bombshells, more abusers, etc. So it took me a while to find a team or two to root for. I finally settled for 3 teams, 2 of which are in the finals.
In-it-to-win-it
The current front runners is an Asian father-daughter team and they- or more specifically, she- is one of my favorite contestants of all time. Christina has been absolutely marvelous on the race and her prior training in linguistics at Duke & Princeton, her studies abroad in China & Japan and her work experience with the US State Department have paid off. Her ability to speak French, Mandarin (Chinese) and Japanese have paid off in Africa and especially in the last 2 legs of the race. But more than that, it seems that every time she lands in a new country, she already knows how to say "hello", "thank you" and "faster" in the local language. She has done well in most of the physical challenges (but that could change in the finals) and has put up with her condescending father with grace and poise. About the only flaw I have seen has more to do with DC's Metro than her and that was because she didn't fare well driving a car in Japan. Her father Ron has done well for an older competitor, especially one with a hernia, but during the middle of the race he was hurting his team by constantly berating and talking down to Christina and starting conflicts with others. To his credit, Ron has been on good behavior the past 2 episodes and even if they don't win the race, I think Ron & Christina have to be happy with how they have come together as a team through love & respect.

Maybe it was my camping trips to Black Mountain that gave me a soft spot for TK & Rachel... or maybe it was that they have been good competitors and good people the whole time. The have kept level heads for almost the entire race and even fought back from a last place finish in a non-elimination round to get into the finals. While others were busy casting them as apathetic hippies, they were busy staying positive and pushing forward. If I have one complaint against this couple, its that Rachel needs to eat some red beans & rice or potatoes or something to put just a little meet on her very petite frame.

Another unlikely duo in the finals is the grandson-grandfather team of Nick & Don. Nick is a little pushy, but I think that is the Yankee in him. To his credit though, he is great with Don and has helped him out the whole way. Don has a great spirit and has pushed on like a champ and is usually good for a few one-liners each show. They aren't one of my favorites like the other two, but you could do worse.

Good ridance
The most recent team to be eliminated was one of my least favorites. Nate and Jen were a couple that consistent fought with each other the whole race and when they weren't fighting, they were usually bashing the other teams. Nate definitely didn't make matters better with such gems as "I hate you", but to put up with a girl with such negativity and drama has to be tough. Jen spent much of the race screaming about everything she felt was wrong- big and small. If I was one of these two I can't imagine them staying together after the race revealed how poorly matched they were. I did feel a little bad for them as they realized this truth at the end of the last show and with a breakup looming on the horizon they were facing a possible end to their relationship; and that is a difficult situation for anyone. But to quote Winona Rider in the move Heathers, "Why are you such a mega-b**ch?!"

High hopes
The other team that was in my top 3 was the brother-sister team of Azaria and Hendekea (no word if other siblings Meshach & Abednego will compete in a future season). They seems like a good team: smart, fairly athletic (especially this season), somewhat culturally experienced... Ultimately, a little sibling rivalry, arguing and bad flights ultimately led to their early departure.

The wild cards
I have to be honest, I wasn't happy to see Kynt & Vyxsin on the show at the beginning. It looked like another one of those ploys I mentioned to draw in viewers with oddball contestants. And the makeup and pink & black outfits got old quick, not to mention Kynt's effeminate twang. But I have to give credit to the "goths", they did really well and they were pretty nice people overall.

None too soon
As I mentioned, I had a top 3, but I also had a worst 3. These were the teams that I rooted against as long as they were on the show.
Since Jen lasted the longest, she had to be at the top of the list of contestants that I strongly disliked.

Not a surprise here seeing that I can't recall a team of blondes that I have pulled for yet, and Shana & Jennifer kept that trend going. Actually, it was mainly one of them- the short one. Honestly, I can't remember if it was Shana or Jennifer and I don't really care. All I know is that she was the most arrogant and selfish contestant this season and was also mean to her teammate. I really felt sorry for the tall girl who was constantly put down by her vapid and vain partner, but that quickly faded when they got the boot and the tall girl said "we'll always be best friends". Lady, that ain't a friendship, that is an abuser and an enabler.

Thank goodness this team was the first to go because I couldn't have taken Ari for much longer. Honestly, I don't remember much about Staella, but Ari's shrill, effeminate voice and his catty attitude was enough for me to hate-out-of-the-gate on this team.

"We hardly knew thee"
couple Lorena & Jason, sisters Marianna & Julia and lesbians Kate & Pat
The Pick
Since the last leg appears to be in Alaska instead of overseas, I don't see any team having a cultural advantage and it will probably come down to a physical task, a brain teaser toward the end and who gets better flights, cabs, etc. I think this is where Don finally holds Nick back too much and TK & Rachel are able to edge out Ron & Christina. Winners: TK & Rachel


2 Comments:
I love Amazing Race... thanks to Sarah. She got me hooked. I was so sad last night watching them run through the streets of Taipei... I want Ron and Christina to win, but wouldn't be disappointed if any of the remaining teams won.
They have the floating lanterns in Thailand also (which is a different place, Nate). I knew that sending 20 of them would take a long time because they have to fill with enough hot air to take off, so it can be slow.
But I remember those stones from FPO and I know that would have hurt like heck.
Post a Comment
<< Home