Doi Inthanon Part 3
Near the end of our trip to Doi Inthanon, our tour guide took us by a Karen village. The Karen are one of the major Hill Tribes found in Thailand. Actually, there are different types of Karen and most of them migrated to Thailand from Burma.

We got to watch some women using a basic type of weaving to make swaths of fabric that might be used as skirts, wraps or table cloths.

A Karen woman working on her porch.

Sitting on the porch of someone's home.

After we took the picture above, I noticed this picture hanging on the wall. It is Jesus wearing traditional Karen clothing. I thought it was kind of interesting. There is a Catholic and Methodist church in this tiny village, so I am assuming the photo was given to the family by one of the members of the church or a missionary (Catholic would be my guess). Actually, Karens have been more receptive to the Gospel that the Thai population in general.

Someone's home. Most of the houses were on stilts.

A terraced rice field in the dry season.

Probably a harder life that you or I could imagine.

Up next: Back to Hong Kong


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home