Peak Potential
Back on one of the 2 sunny days I had in Hong Kong during the month of February, I took an afternoon trip up to The Peak. It's a big tourist spot that overlooks Hong Kong, Victoria Harbor and Kowloon. This is the observation and visitor center. The design is supposed to look like a rice bowl.

Skyscrapers shoot up from the water's edge all the way up the mountain. Hong Kong is at the bottom of the photo, with Kowloon on the far side of the water.

You can see the beginning of the port region in this photo.

Here are a few examples of unique architecture. To the right is the Bank of China building with it's angled supports and pointed top. To the right of that is the Lippo Centers twin towers that look more like a futuristic Jenga game than a building. And finally, right on the water is the Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Center. It's curvy roof reminds me of a mix of the Sydney Opera House and the Legion of Doom's headquarters (more so when you look from the water or Kowloon side).

The IFC building standing tall on the Hong Kong skyline.


As I was leaving, the pattern of the escalators caught my eye and I shot a couple of photos. I like the cris-cross movement and also the skyline on the other side of the wall of glass.




I had a good time at The Peak. A few interesting things from that trip:
1. Instead of taking the Peak Tram up the mountain, I tried to catch a bus, but I couldn't find a stop, so I was walking up the mountain, when finally a local told me which mini-bus to catch. Just then, that bus came around the corner and I hopped on.
2. There is a Bubba-Gump Restaurant at The Peak.
3. On my way down, a couple I had met a few weeks earlier at a Bible study recognized me and we chatted on the bus. It was the first time I was recognized by someone in Hong Kong.


1 Comments:
Bubba-Gump, really? This is unfortunate. The Peak will ALWAYS have a special area in my heart as being the place that craig asked me to marry him, but I have to tell you this makes me sad. Darn you Bubba Gump!!!- jenifer
Post a Comment
<< Home